Sociology Minor Requirements for the 2016-17 Catalog
Students following a previous catalog year may refer to the minor worksheets at the bottom of this page.
Important Note About Eligibility
The sociology minor has been suspended as of Fall 2016. Frosh students who enter UCSC in the 2016-17 academic year, are not eligible for the minor. The following students are still eligible for the Sociology minor:
- Continuing students who entered UCSC prior to the 2016-17 academic year are still eligible to declare the minor.
- Transfer students who enter UCSCin the 2016-17 academic year are still eligible to declare due to UCSC’s catalog rights policy, provided that they were enrolled in a previous collegiate institution no more than three years prior to the time of transfer. Please refer to catalog rights.
ONE Lower-Division Course Required to Qualify for the Minor
One of the following three course options must be completed with a grade of C or better prior to declaring the minor. A major must be declared prior to declaring a minor.
- SOCY 1 Introduction to Sociology - Offered Fall, Spring and Summer
- SOCY 10 Issues and Problems in American Society - Offered Winter and Summer
- SOCY 15 World Society - Offered Fall and Summer
TWO Upper-Division Core Courses
- SOCY 105A Classical Social Theory - Offered Fall and Summer
- SOCY 105B Contemporary Social Theory - Offered Winter and Summer
THREE Upper-Division Elective Courses
- Sociology electives are numbered SOCY 110-189
- One of the three required electives may be a course substitution.
Download the minor worksheet (PDF) for the catalog year you are following.