Sociology B.A. Requirements
Sociology Major Requirements for the 2016-17 Catalog
Students following a previous catalog year may refer to the major worksheets at the bottom of this page.
TWO Lower-Division Courses Required to Qualify for the Major
Two of the following three course options must be completed with grades of C+ or better prior to declaring the major.
- SOCY 1 Introduction to Sociology - Offered Fall, Spring and Summer
- SOCY 10 Issues and Problems in American Society - Offered Winter and Summer
- SOCY 15 World Society - Offered Fall and Summer
TWO Lower-Division Core Courses
- SOCY 3A The Evaluation of Evidence (Formerly SOCY 103B) - Offered Fall and Summer
- SOCY 3B Statistical Methods (Formerly SOCY 103A) - Offered Winter and Summer
- Students are encouraged to take SOCY 3B with the Sociology department, however, SOCY 3B can also be substituted with AMS 5, AMS 7, PSYC 2, or equivalents. AP Statistics scores of 4 or 5 satisfies the SOCY 3B requirement.
TWO Upper-Division Core Courses
The Disciplinary Communications (DC) General Education and major requirement can be satisfied in the major by taking SOCY 105A and SOCY 105B starting Fall 2016. Prior to Fall 2016, students can satisfy the DC requirement with SOCY 103B.
- SOCY 105A Classical Social Theory - Offered Fall and Summer
- SOCY 105B Contemporary Social Theory - Offered Winter and Summer
FIVE Upper-Division Elective Courses
- Sociology electives are numbered SOCY 110-189
- Two of the five required electives may be course substitutions.
ONE Comprehensive Requirement
Students may choose from one of the following options:
- SOCY 196A Capstone: The Sociologist as a Public Intellectual - Offered Spring quarter only
- Senior Thesis. Students must enroll in 10-15 units. SOCY 195A and SOCY 195B enrollment is mandatory, while SOCY 195C is optional as some student may complete their thesis in two quarters. Two quarters of thesis work is required but three quarters is recommended. Thesis courses are added to your schedule as an individual study. Refer to the Steps Towards a Thesis guide and Faculty Advisor worksheet here. Prerequisite: SOCY 3A (or SOCY 103B), completion or in progress with the DC requirement, and faculty sponsor approval.
Download the major worksheet (PDF) for the catalog year you are following.
- 2016-17 Sociology BA (pdf)
- 2015-16 Sociology BA (pdf)
- 2014-15 Sociology BA (pdf)
- 2013-14 Sociology BA (pdf)