LALS/Sociology Combined B.A.
Latin American and Latino Studies/Sociology Combined Major
Students following a previous catalog year may refer to the major worksheets at the bottom of this page.
Students in this major must work with both the LALS department and the Sociology department. Students should also refer to the LALS website. Each required section below has Sociology requirements and LALS requirements.
THREE Lower-Division Courses Required to Qualify for the Major
The two SOCY courses selected and LALS 1 must be passed with grades of C or better prior to declaring the major.
Select two of the following Sociology courses.
- SOCY 1 Introduction to Sociology - Offered Fall, Spring and Summer
- SOCY 10 Issues and Problems in American Society - Offered Winter and Summer
- SOCY 15 World Society - Offered Fall and Summer
- LALS 1 Introduction to Latin American and Latino Studies - Offered Fall and Winter
FIVE Upper-Division Core Courses
The Disciplinary Communications (DC) General Education and major requirement can be satisfied in the major by taking LALS 100A and LALS 100B.
- SOCY 105A Classical Social Theory - Offered Fall and Summer
- SOCY 105B Contemporary Social Theory - Offered Fall and Summer
- LALS 100 Concepts and Theories in LALS - Offered Fall
- LALS 100A Social Science Analytics - Offered Winter
- LALS 100B Cultural Theory in the Americas - Offered Spring
FOUR Upper-Division Elective Courses
Up to three elective substitutions are allowed if the student completes an education abroad program. Students must work with the department advisors on course substitution petitions. See: Sociology course substitutions
- TWO Sociology electives are required. Sociology electives are numbered SOCY 110-189
- TWO LALS electives are required. Refer to the LALS department for their elective requirement.
ONE LALS Language Requirement
One Upper-Division LALS elective must be taken in Spanish or Portuguese. Approval needed from the LALS department if not taken at UCSC.
ONE Comprehensive Requirement
Students may choose one of the following options:
- LALS Senior Seminar - One course in the LALS 194 series
- Senior Thesis. Students must enroll in 10-15 units. SOCY 195A and SOCY 195B enrollment is mandatory, while SOCY 195C is optional as some student may complete their thesis in two quarters. Students may choose to enroll on the Sociology side or on the LALS side with their thesis courses, LALS 195A, 195B, 195C. Two quarters of thesis work is required but three quarters is recommended. Thesis courses are added to your schedule as an individual study. Students must meet the requirements of both departments:
Download the major worksheet (PDF) for the catalog year you are following.
- 2016-17 LALS/Sociology Combined BA (pdf)
- 2015-16 LALS/Sociology Combined BA (pdf)
- 2014-15 LALS/Sociology Combined BA (pdf)
- 2013-14 LALS/Sociology Combined BA (pdf)