Drop-in advising hours with the Sociology Advisor in College 8 Rm 224 are:
- I will have extended hours, 1-4pm, on Monday May 6th and Tuesday May 7th
- May 8th - Advising hours moved to 11am-12pm and 1-3pm due to a morning meeting
- May 10th - Not available all day
The key to making the most of your educational opportunities is advising, so it is essential that you seek proper advice. Both the faculty and the department's undergraduate advisor play key roles in advising on all aspects of the undergraduate work.
Undergraduate Advisor- Tina Nikfarjam firstname.lastname@example.org
Students considering a sociology major or minor should consult with the undergraduate advisor as early as possible, no later than early sophomore year. Junior transfer students are strongly encouraged to do this in their first quarter of enrollment.
- Advising for the Sociology major, intensive Sociology major, combined Sociology/LALS major, Sociology minor, or GISES minor
- Program orientations and declaration sessions
- Recommendations for courses and faculty to approach for research interests
- Substitutions of transfer courses
- Petition approval
Advising is available during the academic year.
Sociology faculty members are valuable resources for: discussing ideas and concepts, applying sociology to your future life and career plans and writing recommendation letters. Faculty hold office hours each week during the academic quarters. These hours are available for students to discuss course work, research opportunities, graduate school , and future courses. Take advantage of office hours to meet faculty and get to know them. Hours are posted on the faculty page, outside the Sociology Department Office, 226 College 8, and outside College 8 Faculty Services, 235 College 8.