Declaration of Major or Minor
Requirements for Declaration
In order to declare, you must have completed all lower-division requirements with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Lower division requirements vary by major and by catalog requirements. Students should be aware of what curriculum year they are following, and follow all requirements for that year.
The Declaration Process
- Attend a Sociology declaration workshop (for majors only - minors meet directly with the Undergraduate Advisor)
- During the workshop you will be given an overview of the majors, create a plan for the remainder of your courses, and be given information on how to select a faculty advisor.
- Obtain faculty advisor signature. Both your faculty advisor and the undergraduate advisor must sign the form before your declaration of major can be processed.
- Return to the undergraduate advisor to sign off on your form. Combined majors must also go to LALS after receiving the sociology advisor's signature.
- If needed, return to the college for approval of your extension of enrollment.
There will be mandatory declaration sessions each quarter to declare the major, intensive major, and combined major. To declare the Sociology minor or GISES minor, see the Undergraduate Advisor during drop in advising hours. Seniors are exempt from the workshop, you may declare directly with the Undergraduate Advisor during drop in advising hours
Students are eligible to sign up for a workshop once they have completed the lower division requirements of the major with at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. To sign up for a workshop, visit the Sociology Department Office located in College 8, room 224. Sign up sheets will be posted outside the Undergraduate Advisors office for the remaining declaration sessions that quarter. You may also email email@example.com to sign up for a workshop. All declaration sessions will be held in College 8, room 207, unless otherwise posted. Sessions last approximately 30-45 minutes.
Declaration workshops for Spring quarter are listed below. Spaces are limited so you must sign-up for a workshop. Sign up sheets are posted outside the Undergraduate Advisors or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org with your workshop preference.
- Monday, April 8th @11am, College 8 Rm 207
- Tuesday, April 9th @11am, College 8 Rm 207
- Thursday, April 11th @10am, College 8 Rm 207
- Tuesday, April 16th @3:05pm, College 8 Rm 207
- Wednesday, April 17th @3:30pm, College 8 Rm 207
- Friday, April 19th @2pm, College 8 Rm 207
- Tuesday, April 23rd @11am, College 8 Rm 207
- Thursday, April 25th @1pm, College 8 Rm 207