2016-17 Catalog Changes
This information was emailed to continuing Sociology proposed and declared students on 5/6/16. The Sociology department will be changing some of the major and minor requirements in the 2016-17 catalog year, effective Fall 2016. Please review the information under the major or minor you are pursuing. New major and minor worksheets will be available on our website before Fall enrollment begins. These changes are part of the new UC Transfer Admissions Pathways, learn more here.
Sociology BA and Sociology BA with GISES Concentration
- Offered Winter quarter
- Lower division, 5 units
- Satisfies the SR-GE
- Course will be restricted to proposed or declared Sociology majors and minors.
- If you have already taken and passed SOCY 103A or are planning to take it this summer, this change does not effect you. You do not need to take both SOCY 103A and SOCY 3B.
- You may substitute SOCY 3B with one of the following options, by completing this online form (http://goo.gl/forms/
- AMS 5, AMS 7, or PSYC 2 from UCSC, passed with a grade of C or better or Pass (P).
- The equivalent to AMS 5 or PSYC 2 from a CA Community College, passed with a grade of C or better or Pass (P). Courses equivalent to AMS 5 and PSYC 2 can be viewed on http://www.assist.org.
- The equivalent to AMS 5, AMS 7, PSYC 2, SOCY 3B or another statistical methods course taken from another UC, CSU, out of state school, or any other college attended. The course must be passed with a grade of C or better or Pass (P).
- An AP Statistics exam passed with a score of 4 or 5.
- If you have taken SOCY 103A AND one of the statistics courses list above, you may request through the form for your statistics course to satisfy SOCY 3B and SOCY 103A to count towards an upper division elective requirement.
- Offered Fall quarter
- Lower division, 5 units
- Course will be restricted to proposed and declared Sociology majors and minors.
- If you have already taken and passed SOCY 103B or are planning to take it this summer, this change does not effect you. You do not need to take both SOCY 103B and SOCY 3A.
- You may substitute SOCY 3A with an equivalent research methods course from UCSC, a community college, or another college. Complete this form to substitute SOCY 3A (http://goo.gl/forms/
GcD4i60iM3). Some requests may require a syllabus; I will contact you if one is needed.
- The DC requirement can be satisfied in the major by completing SOCY 103B Spring 2016, Summer 2016, or prior, or by completing both SOCY 105A and 105B beginning Fall 2016.
- Students who are unable to satisfy the DC requirement through these means should contact the undergraduate advisor asap, if you have not already done so: email@example.com
- SOCY 105A and 105B will have a prerequisite of the entry level writing and composition requirement, and are restricted to junior and senior, proposed or declared, Sociology majors and minors.
- Learn more about the DC requirement here.
- The course is only offered Spring quarter.
- Course is restricted to declared Sociology BA majors.
- Currently, as a 3 unit course the class meets once a week, as a 5 unit course it will meet the regular TTH, MWF or MW.
Combined Sociology/LALS BA
SOCY 103B will be removed for the 2016-17 catalog.
- Students in this major may request to update to the new 2016-17 catalog beginning Fall 2016. Once updated, SOCY 103B will no longer be a requirement.
- Students who remain in the 2015-16 catalog or prior must still take the department's research methods course which will be lower division as SOCY 3A, The Evaluation of Evidence, offered Fall quarter.
- If a student updates to the new catalog AND has taken SOCY 103B, you may request to use SOCY 103B towards an upper division Sociology elective requirement.
- If you update to the 2016-17 catalog, you will no longer be able to satisfy the comprehensive requirement through option #2 in which you take two additional SOCY electives in the field of Inequality and Social Change. Students who remain in the 2015-16 catalog or prior will still have option #2 available to them.
- Option #1 and #3 remain: LALS senior seminar or a senior thesis.
Sociology MinorMinor will be suspended beginning Fall 2016.
- Current and continuing students are still eligible to declare the minor since you entered UCSC prior to Fall 2016. New transfer students starting UCSC Fall 2016 are still eligible due to catalog rights. However, new frosh starting UCSC Fall 2016 and after are not eligible to declare the Sociology minor.
- With SOCY 103B reducing to lower division, only SOCY 105A and SOCY 105B can be used to satisfy the two upper division core courses required in the minor.