Declaration of Major or Minor
Campus Declaration Deadlines 2016-17
- Fall Quarter: Friday, October 21st
- Winter Quarter: Friday, February 10th
- Spring Quarter: Friday, April 28th
Requirements for Major Declaration
In order to declare a Sociology major, you must have completed the lower-division major qualification course requirements for the chosen major/minor. Please review the major you are pursuing to review the major qualification courses (GISES concentration students have two steps, please review the declaration workshop information below). If you are in progress with your last course needed to declare the Sociology major, you may attend a declaration workshop to start the declaration process; however, you will not be formally declared in the major until you have satisfied the last remaining lower-division requirement.
For Combined Sociology/LALS majors, you must complete all lower-division requirements, on both the Sociology and LALS sides, before you can start the declaration process.
Lower-division requirements vary by program and by catalog requirements. Students should be aware of what curriculum year they are following, and follow all requirements for that year. Students who enter UCSC as frosh are required to be formally declared in a major before enrolling in their third year (or equivalent). Junior transfers must declare their major during their second quarter at UCSC. Each quarter has a declaration deadline by which the major or minor must be declared.
Requirements for Minor Declaration
To declare a minor, you must be declared in a major first. Students declaring a minor must either be completed with the lower-division requirement(s) in the minor or be in progress with the last course needed to declare the minor. If you are in progress with the last course needed to declare the minor, you may start the declaration process, however, you will not be formally declared until you have satisfied the last remaining lower-division requirement. Once you are ready to start the declaration process, be sure you have, or obtain from your major advisor, the completed "Petition to Declare Major/Minor" form and the "Academic Planning Form" with an updated major academic plan signed off by your major advisor. Then bring these forms in to the Sociology Advisor's drop-in advising hours. A declaration workshop is not required for minor declaration.
The Major Declaration Process
- Attend a Sociology declaration workshop if it's mandatory for your program (to determine if a workshop is mandatory for your program, please see the information below). You must sign-up for a workshop. Workshop availabilities are listed in the sign-up form below.
- During the workshop you will be given an overview of the selected major, create a plan for the remainder of your courses, and be given information on how to select a faculty advisor.
- Students who are declaring a double major or major/minor must have approval from both department advisors on the Declaration of Major/Minor form and Academic Planning form. If you are already declared in another program, visit the other department advisor to obtain a completed and signed Declaration of Major/Minor form and Academic Planning form. Bring the form with you to the declaration workshop you have signed up for.
- Obtain faculty advisor signature. Your faculty advisor must sign the form before your declaration of major can be processed.
- Return to the undergraduate advisor to sign off on your form. Combined majors must also go to LALS after receiving the sociology advisor's signature.
- If needed, visit your college for approval to extend enrollment past your expected graduation term.
Is a declaration workshop mandatory for my program?:
- Sociology BA - Declaration workshop is mandatory. Workshop availabilities are listed in the sign-up form below.
- Sociology BA with concentration in GISES - Declaration workshop is mandatory. Workshop availabilities are listed in the sign-up form below. Students will first declare the standard Sociology BA if they have met the lower-division
requirements. Once SOCY 1, 15, and 30A, B and C are completed with a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher, you may see me during advising hours to start the forms needed to add the GISES concentration. The addition of the GISES concentration will also require a signature from the Program Director, Professor Chris Benner, on the academic planning form.
- Combined Sociology/LALS BA - Declaration workshop for Sociology is not required. Instead, students in the combined major must meet with both the Sociology and LALS advisors. Start the declaration process with the Sociology Undergraduate Advisor during drop-in advising hours. After completing the Sociology side of the declaration process, you must complete the LALS declaration requirement. For LALS declaration information, visit their website.
- Sociology minor or GISES minor - Declaration workshop is not required. Review the information above under "Requirements for Minor Declaration"
- Senior class level students - Declaration workshop is not required. You may declare directly with the Undergraduate Advisor during advising hours.
Declaration Workshop Sign-up
Please review the information above to verify if you are eligible for a declaration workshop and whether a workshop is mandatory for your program. Workshops last approximately 1 hour. The sooner you start the declaration process, the better!
You must sign-up for a workshop. Drop-ins will not be accepted.
To sign-up for a declaration workshop please complete this online form, or use the embedded form below. If you are having trouble with the sign-up form link or the embedded form, please contact the Undergraduate Advisor firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-459-4497 or in person.