|Division||Social Sciences Division|
|Office||College Eight 336|
|Campus Mail Stop||College Eight Faculty Services|
|1156 High Street|
Santa Cruz, CA
Research InterestsSocial Psychology, Sociology of Emotions, Field Research Methods, Social Interaction, The Family, Medical Sociology
Biography, Education and TrainingB.A., Ph.D., Brandeis University
- 2004 The Perfect Sister: What Draws Us Together, What Breaks Us Apart (Harcourt, Inc: New York). Also published in Dutch and Australian book editions.
- 2001 The Seven Stories of Love: how to choose your happy ending (Morrow/Harper Collins: New York). Also published in eight foreign book editions: Italian, Spanish, German, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Taiwan (Mandarin), Brazilian (2001 – 2004)
- 1991 Warm Hearts and Cold Cash: The Intimate Dynamics of Families and Money (The Free Press: New York).
- 1980 Such A Pretty Face: Being Fat in America ( W. W. Norton & Co: New York).
- 1978 The Unkindest Cut: Life in the Backrooms of Medicine (Morrow, New York)